Tuesday, August 25, 2026

My Top 5 News/Information Sources

Today there is constantly lots of chaos in the news, from wars to bad lettuce, we are constantly being fed information about what’s going on in the world. Big news corporations such as FOX or CNN are telling us how urgent and dangerous everything is, which brings us back to see more and get the next update. I don’t believe that this is the best way to get accurate news from reliable sources, so here are my top five news sources in no particular order.

 

1.        TikTok 


While the TikTok app isn’t a news source, thousands of companies and independent journalists use it to share their work and report news. Accounts such as Dylan Page or even King5 are constantly uploading new segments, ranging from small local happenings like a raccoon in someone’s house to bigger events such as a possible war in the middle east.


2.        Instagram   

Similarly to TikTok, Instagram has many of the same independent journalists and news station posting daily on their platform. I’ve come to find less censorship on Instagram, which has its pros and cons. Less censorship means that some stories can be reported more accurately with details that may have violated community guidelines elsewhere. However, this also means that it’s easier to find satire and fake news being reported just as much, if not more often.


3.         Word of Mouth   

When a newsworthy event happens, thousands of journalists will report on it, all with different information, narratives, biases, and formats. One person is going to see maybe 2 or 3 of these reports and feel educated on the matter. When people see the news and talk to a friend about it, that friend probably saw the same thing from a different platform, which offers another perspective to come to your own conclusions.


4.        Nick Shirley    

Nick Shirley is a content creator/independent journalist who investigates things like fraudulent activity happening within our government. He isn’t being paid by a company to report on issues and he’s not a political figure, he is simply an American citizen who wants to find out and report on bad things happening within his country. With no skin in the game besides needing a source of income, I find it easier to believe a regular guy who goes to the scene to interview and investigate than someone who’s being paid to read a script that their bosses wrote.


5.      Apple News

While I don't typically go out of my way to read about whats going on in the news, sometimes just a headline can be enough. On my iPhone, I added the Apple News widget to my home screen which shows just a few trending headlines from multiple news agencies about all different topics. They constantly change the headlines being shown, so whenever I scroll by it I get to briefly catch up on current events, or I can click on the headline shown if I want to read further. 



___________________________________________________________________________________
AI DISCLOSURE
AI was not used in the writing of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where are the Antiwar Voices?

T he world has always been driven by war. The rich and powerful leaders all say that the only solution or only way to settle many issues is ...