Thursday, August 27, 2026

Supreme Court Reflection

The United States Supreme Court took up residence in this building on Oct. 7, 1935

After watching a video about the U.S. Supreme Court, I realized there was a lot about the institution that I did not fully understand. While I knew it was an important part of the government, I came away with a much greater appreciation for its influence and responsibilities.

One of the most surprising things I learned was the sheer number of petitions submitted to the Court. I was amazed to learn that thousands of petitions are made each year. That fact alone highlighted how many people and organizations want the Court to review their cases.

Another point that stood out to me was the Court's reputation as the most powerful court in the world. Its decisions can have a lasting effect on society, which makes the role of the justices incredibly significant.

2026 Supreme Court Justices

I also learned that judges are expected to be impartial and independent. Before watching the video, I knew judges were supposed to be fair, but I had not fully considered how important independence is to maintaining trust in the legal system. That idea changed the way I think about the Court and the people who serve on it.

The video also discussed the Court's weekly conferences, where the justices decide which cases they will hear. I was surprised by how quickly this process seems to move. It felt much faster paced than I expected for such an important institution.

Dread Scott
Another interesting detail was that Supreme Court rulings can make issues clearer while also making them more difficult to change. Because of the Court's authority, its decisions can have long-term effects that shape future debates and legal questions.

The video also referenced the Dred Scott v Sandford (1887) case, which was presented as a controversial and damaging moment in the Court's history. It reminded me that even powerful institutions can make decisions that are later viewed negatively.

My biggest takeaway is that the Supreme Court plays an enormous role in shaping the country. After watching the video, I see it not only as a court that decides cases, but as an institution whose decisions can influence society for years to come.

____________________________________________________________

WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW


AI DISCLOSURE: This post was a collaboration using Microsoft Copilot. I took detailed notes while watching a 20-minute video about the Supreme Court. In addition to facts that I learned, I emphasized my own reactions and opinions while watching. I then asked Copilot to help me improve the text by correcting grammar, spelling, punctuation. I then asked Copilot to help me shape the text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added links to related sources, as well as appropriate images and captions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where are the Antiwar Voices?

T he world has always been driven by war. The rich and powerful leaders all say that the only solution or only way to settle many issues is ...